Let’s be real everybody. We all love watching those 90 second videos on Facebook or Snapchat demonstrating how to make the perfect lasagna, spaghetti squash, or salmon dinner. But when we try it ourselves, it takes way longer than the ’25 minutes’ cook time it suggests. So when cooking for myself, I try to find simple, few ingredient meals. Perhaps on a rare Sunday evening I will be in the mood to whip up a gourmet meal to rival Ina Garten, but when it comes to the day-to-day grind less really is more.
The easiest way to accomplish this? Hunt around on Pinterest, the holy grail for recipes. I found this Caprese Avocado Salad recipe a few months ago, and it is a staple in my weekly meals. It’s light, fresh, easy to pack up for work, and most importantly super quick to prepare.
Shout out to Damn Delicious for this amazing recipe & photo! If only I could make it look as delicious as they do. I’ve tweaked it a little to simply the steps for myself, but check out their original too!
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless thin-sliced chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 6 ounces ovaline fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, to taste. Add to skillet and cook, flipping once, until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Let cool before dicing into bite-size pieces.
- To assemble the salad, place romaine lettuce in a large bowl; top with chicken, mozzarella, tomatoes, avocado and basil. Pour balsamic vinegar on top of the salad and gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.
- Pro tip: If you’re making this the night before and plan on taking it to work, set aside the balsamic dressing for tomorrow, so the rest of the salad doesn’t become too soggy overnight.